ClickBankSuccessForum.com Forum Index ClickBankSuccessForum.com
ClickBank Success Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Clickbank Success Forum Featured Links.

• ClickBank Affiliate SuperTips
  • The number one marketing tool
  • $7 ClickBank Reports
  • The Ultimate Rebrander
  • To see how your message can be featured, Click here.

Are we getting all the commissions we deserve or ... ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ClickBankSuccessForum.com Forum Index -> ClickBank Discussion
    View previous topic :: View next topic  
    Guy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:15 pm    Post subject: Are we getting all the commissions we deserve or ... ? Reply with quote

Hi,

Itís really nice to see this forum starting. Finally, I might get answers to some of my questions.

Iíve been posting ads on Google Adwords since last November selling Clickbank products. I succeeded in making some profits but Iíve been noticing a behaviour that leads me to believe that someone or something has control over some of my sales. I donít want to blame Clickbank or Google or anybody else but I would really want to get an answer that is not too hard to believe, once and for all.

The behaviour Iíve been noticing is the following: Some products sell really well for a week or so, and suddenly, I get just a few sales for a few days. For example, I sell this product that is generating a conversion rate (CR) of 3.3% on average. That is, I sell one of these products for every 33 clicks on average. Suddenly, for a couple of days, this CR falls down below 1%. I would find reasonable that on a bad day, I sell 1 product every 50 or 60 clicks but not 1 for every 100 !!! And these are quality clicks too! My ads show up in the first or second positions, above the SERPS in Google, for most of my good keywords. When you think that I make a profit only if the CR is above 2.2%, those bad days are hitting the wallet pretty hard!

I came up with 3 possible explanations which I would like to invite everyone to discuss or comment on:
    1) This is normal; itís all in my head, bad days happen!
    Well ok, bad days happen but why 2 or 3 in a row? And this a product I sell around the world. Does everybody around the world decide at the same time that today is a bad day? Like I said, I would accept a small drop in CR on some days but that kind of a drop for 2 or 3 days in a row makes it really hard to believe that nothing else affects it.

2) I found this discussion on Phil Wileyís Forum where they mention the possibility of Clickbank or Clickbankís Algorithm controlling who gets the commission through the cookies; is it the first ad that was clicked on, or the last:
    http://www.ozemedia.com/cgi-bin/webbbs/webbbs_config.pl?read=13963
    By the way, Wayne and Steve that take part of that discussion, are they the Wayne and Steve on this forum? In any case, Steve of this forum, could you comment on this? To me, that would explain the difference in sales for some days as most of my ads appear on top for this product. If this is the case, fine, but Iíd like to know so I can adapt my strategies with some extra knowledge of what is going on. And also, if it is the case, it would be nice to know why youíre doing itÖ.

3) Internet Hackers. Correct me if Iím wrong but before they came up with all the encrypted technologies for credit card processing, internet hackers were out there intercepting credit card numbers and doing fraud, right? Is there some kind of encryption of our Clickbank nickname going on between the vendorís site and Clickbank? If not, what prevents hackers from intercepting the orders and changing the nickname to theirs? When you think about it, this sounds a good explanation too, the hacker would not pick on the same affiliate every day because, first, he does not want to put that affiliate out of business, he wants to come back to him. Second, the hacker does not want to create a pattern and get caught by Clickbank so he hits on different products, different affiliates on different days. Now, am I completely out of track here? If not, does Clickbank have any algorithm to try to detect any strange pattern in affiliate sales so these hackers could get caught?

Anyone else has notice this kind of behaviour? Anyone else as other theories? Iím only trying to decide if itís worth continuing promoting Clickbank products or notÖ

Guy
    Ottawa, Canada
    No Way

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 9:26 pm    Post subject: No Way! Reply with quote

I'm convinced that we never get all the credit due but I also feel like ClickBank is better than the other networks I use. At least Nortons is still letting the ClickBank links thru.

In answer to your question, there is supposed to be some adware out there that is capable of changing links when they're clicked on, or so I've heard. I'm no programmer so what do I know? Think about this, what about all those vendors that have paypal buttons on their site, when someone buys with paypal, how many of the vendors will ever actually pay your commission then? Not very many!

I personally feel that ClickBank should tell the vendors if you use another payment option on your site then you'll have to make a mirror page with no other payment options, including 800 numbers and use that for the ClickBank affiliates landing page. If the affiliate is not going to get the credit then the vendor shouldn't get the traffic, let him get his own traffic!

ClickBank uses 60 day cookies thru out the system where a lot of the other networks have 1, 14 and 30 day cookies and then want to get all particular and make issues over whether your ad is in a frame on your own site and want you to have a different code for each site you have and on and on with red tape, hassles and constantly updating links etc. ClickBank pays the biggest commissions and do it quicker too.

ClickBank is simple, it seems to work (for the most part) and it's about as hassle free as your gonna get. I love simple! They did create a mess last fall with their big ideas about changing the old hop links out but thats all took care of now.

I try to ignore a little loss (as long as it stays little), kinda like a store in the real world, you can't run any kind of business without a certain amount of shop lifting and employee theft, we just can't let it get out of control. As long as I'm getting decent conversions, I don't know of any greener pastures or a perfect (no loss) world that exist. I just dump the vendors that have too many leaks, trial downloads, certain popups and too many tempting ways of denying me credit on sales, I don't even like to see affiliate program links but if all else is ok I can tolerate that.

The other networks rely on the merchants to tell them when they make a sale Rolling Eyes which for the most part I'd guess that they do report every sell but how do we know??? There you have to trust 2 people on every transaction where with ClickBank you eliminate half of the possible profit leaks automatically.

And thats what I think about it. Laughing
    Guy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply No Way (sounds a little bit funny Smile

I agree with you that vendors should not have different methods of payment. I stopped sending customers to these vendors a while ago. Like you say, they can find there own clients... I also agree that Clickbank is a hassle free network.

I've also heard about these adware/spyware that supposedly change your clickbank nickname but these are installed on clients machines. That does not explain the slow days.

My concern is more about why do we get very low sale days. It is as if you had a store and on average, you have 600 customers coming in per day and 20 of those buying something. But for some reason for 2 or 3 consecutive days, only 6 customers buy a product. Is this something we have to accept or should you be suspicious that somehow, the sales have not registered ???

I'm just wondering if I'm the only one thinking there could be hacker-thiefs out there. If I am the only one or we are a very small minority well, I'll accept and go on with my biz. But otherwise, let's try to do something about it....

Guy
    Zimbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Guy,

I have wondered the same thing. To me it seems to defy statistics that sales drop suddenly for a day or two. But the odd thing is I experience the same thing with paypal. I have periods where I am sure paypal must not be processing my orders for some reason - although test links seem to work. Back when more people used ccbill the same discussion would go round and round. It doesn't seem to happen only with clickbank, but it is perplexing!

Z
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    ClickBankSuccessForum.com Forum Index -> ClickBank Discussion All times are GMT
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: