ClickBankSuccessForum.com Forum Index ClickBankSuccessForum.com
ClickBank Success Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Clickbank Success Forum Featured Links.

• ClickBank Affiliate SuperTips
  • The number one marketing tool
  • $7 ClickBank Reports
  • The Ultimate Rebrander
  • To see how your message can be featured, Click here.

Newsletter Spam Complaints

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ClickBankSuccessForum.com Forum Index -> Marketing ClickBank Products
    View previous topic :: View next topic  
    RR7

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 9:52 am    Post subject: Newsletter Spam Complaints Reply with quote

How do you all deal with newsletter spam complaints?

Even if you use a double opt in system, how do you deal with the bogus complaints by people which happen anyway?

How many complaints do you typically receive each mailing, on average?

What about affiliates who advertise their link in other people's newsletters, how do you deal with spam complaints about your link in their newsletter? Do you find that to be an issue?

I'm just curious how other people deal with these issues. I've found that providers do not accept anything as a valid defense, with few exceptions

Even double opt in proof seems to carry little weight if the person insists they were spammed, or that they canceled their subscription after agreeing to the double opt in, etc.

The only definition of spam that many providers accept is: "Whatever the complainer says it is". If they say it's spam, then it's spam, no matter what the proof shows. It's sort of like credit card chargebacks, if the customer demands the chargeback they get it, no matter what the reason.

I've been told on the phone (with certain providers) that their decision on what action to take against people "accused" of spamming is partly political, and it depends on how high up the recipients complain. They basically said that if too much noise is made above their heads (to their upstream providers) then they'll take quick and severe action even if they know that you are not a spammer, since it's sort of a case of "them or you". I can't blame them really.

In other threads even ClickBank has said that it has problems with this issue. Even Steve himself has said that ClickBank has to be extra careful with sending emails due to false spam complaints in the past, and CB is a firm with great credibility in the online world. So I'm curious how you all deal with this same issue.

I'd like to hear from some of the affiliates (who advertise in newsletters) and also from the people who actually own newsletters and mail them out every week or two, I'm curious how much of a problem you find this stuff to be.
    rondo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend using a reputable third party list manager or autoresponder service to reduce spam complaints with your own isp.

I dont understand why you are receiving spam complaints from advertising in another persons newsletter.
    flyer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

> It's sort of like credit card chargebacks, if the customer demands the chargeback they get it, no matter what the reason.

That's not true, unless the merchant is Clickbank. Other companies actually bother to fight chargebacks.
    CBmall Jeff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of the primary reasons I have a dedicated server now. When you are only paying $25 a month, it's easier to cancel your account than actually talk with you and determine if you are legit.

You can get a dedicated server for $200/month or so and it gives you unlimited bandwidth and unlimited domains, plus you can install whatever scripts or software you want on it.

Finding a host who understands this business and won't cancel due to a few spam complaints is important.

I go to great lengths to educate my affiliates about spam, how to avoid it, not to buy email names except for a few places I recommend, etc. Basically, I try to scare them. many are newbies and really need the education.

I also recommend that they use NameStick so it is not my domain in their ads. That reduces the likelihood of someone getting a newsletter with my domain in it and complaining about it. (This has only happened to me once in two years)

There's no way of getting around the people who subscribe, and then hit the spam button instead of the unsubscribe link when they no longer want your newsletter. Part of the problem is that many people are taught never to use unsubscribe buttons because spammers use them to verify a live body.

I think you get arond that by building credibility as fast as you can in your newsletter so that people trust you.

Hope these ideas help,

Jeff Mulligan
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    ClickBankSuccessForum.com Forum Index -> Marketing ClickBank Products All times are GMT
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: